Pick Up and Drop Off Instructions
At Great Hearts Arlington, we believe that education is a matter not only of the mind, but of the heart. Our work helping our students grow in their ability to make moral choices extends to every part of our school day—including carline. Our students know that they are expected to show the virtues of responsibility and obedience during carline so that everyone stays safe and carline moves as quickly as possible. The single most effective way we help our students grow in virtue is by modeling virtuous behavior for them. We ask you, our parents, to demonstrate integrity and citizenship for your children in carline by following our guidelines.
Each day we help roughly 650 students at the Lower School and 210 students at the Upper School getting into our school building and back out at the end of the day. Thank you for your patience and understanding with our dismissal procedures. They are designed to be as safe and efficient as possible.
Carline Rules and Procedures
- Everyone is expected to drive safely and show good manners to their fellow drivers at all times. We know that carline can be a stressful time of day; a smile and wave can go a long way toward helping everyone remain patient and kind.
- Drivers must not use their cell phones while in carline. It is exceedingly dangerous.
- Cars must always follow the designated carline routes. Do not cut across the parking lot to get through the line faster.
- Please remain in your vehicle at all times. Getting out to help your child into the car or for any other reason is dangerous and holds up the line. Over time, your children will learn to get in the car on their own quickly. If possible, please position your child’s car seat on the side of the vehicle they will need to enter so that they don’t have to go around.
- Our teachers and staff are present to ensure everything is running as safely and efficiently as possible. Thank you in advance for listening to and following their directions with a smile.
- Please help your child to know the type and color of vehicle that will be picking them up and describe it to our teachers. They help us get them in the right cars by raising their hands high when they see their car in the pick up zone.
- Please pull all the way forward in line. Closing the gap as much as possible between you and the car in front of you helps get as many cars as possible off the street and into our parking lot.
Carline at Great Hearts Arlington
Drop Off and Pick Up Times
- Drop Off: 7:15-7:40am
- Full Day Pick Up: 3:30-4:00pm
- Early-Release Friday Pick Up: 1:30-2:00pm
After 7:40am, students will need to be signed in at the front desk. Please park in an available spot on the south end of the parking lot and walk your student to the front office to be checked in. Students are tardy at 7:45am. Students not picked up by 4:00pm on full days and 2:00pm on early-release Fridays will be sent to the front desk where they will need to be signed out. There is a $1/minute charge for late pickup.
If your child has an afternoon doctor’s appointment and needs to leave school early, please sign them out at the front desk before 2:45pm on full days and before 12:45pm on early-release Fridays. After these times students may only be picked up in the carline for the safety of all.
Additional Carline Rules and Procedures
- Please plan to be in line prior to 3:55pm on full days and 1:55pm on early-release Fridays. Attempting to hurriedly join the line at the last possible moment is dangerous and causes pick up to extend past our target end time.
- During pick up, please continue to display your placards even after your child’s number has been entered. This helps us to match students to the right cars as quickly as possible.
- Please do not wave to your children as you are approaching the pick up zone. Waving can be a signal to children to run to your car instead of waiting to be escorted safely by a teacher.
For afternoon pick up we use a digital dismissal system called CurbSmart. CurbSmart allows us to enter students names which then pop up on a screen in their classroom letting them know it is time to head outside. You may see teachers who appear to be on their cell phones during pick up. Please know that these teachers are using their phones to access CurbSmart and help pick-up run smoothly.
CurbSmart also allows us to dismiss students to the correct pickup zone (Front, Back, or Walk-Up) whichever one you go to. When the student’s name pops up on the screen, it also says which door they should head to based on which teacher entered their name outside. We recommend that vehicles with students in Kindergarten through 3rd Grade use the Front Line, and vehicles with students in 4th-8th Grade use the Back Line. We will make sure your children get to the right door to meet your car – please be consistent with which carline you use as this will help your child get to the correct carline in a more timely fashion.
It is important that you display your child(ren)’s placards during pick up each day. Vehicles not displaying placards will be asked to pull around and sign students out at the front desk. Please do not modify placards or make copies. If someone else will be picking up your students, please deliver the original placards we gave you to them to use for pick up. If you need additional placards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org 24-hours in advance to request a new placard.